Available since 2002, Bio-Oil is a multi-purpose daily skincare treatment intended to improve the appearance of scars, and to rehydrate and enhance skin tone. Bio-Oil claims that its primary benefit lies in PurCellin Oil™, which allows the vitamins and plant extracts contained in the treatment to be easily absorbed by your body. Additional benefits include:
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks in as little as 8 weeks.
- Reduces the possibility of additional stretch marks.
- Improves uneven skin tone, such as pigmentation differences and blemishes.
- Smoothes and tones aging skin.
Related: The Ultimate Skincare Guide
Approved for use on both your face and body, Bio-Oil has won a number of awards, though most of these were located outside the United States. Bio-Oil is available at most drug stores and large retailers, including Walmart, Target, and Amazon.
Bio-Oil contains natural ingredients, but is not an all-natural product. Bio-Oil’s list of ingredients include:
- Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil)
- Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate
- Isopropyl Myristate
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Tocopheryl Acetate
- Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil
- Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil
- Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Oil
- Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil
- Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil
- Parfum (Fragrance)
- CL 26100 (Red 17)
Bio-Oil’s website recommends that it be applied two times each day, for a minimum of three months. When applied, it should be massaged in a circular motion until completely absorbed by your skin. To prevent stretch marks, Bio-Oil recommends application at the beginning of your second trimester to areas such as the hips, lower back, thighs, abdomen, and buttocks.
Bio-Oil pricing is as follows:
- $11.99 (2 fl oz)
- $19.99 (4.2 fl oz)
- $27.99 (6.7 fl oz)
- Very inexpensive when compared to similar high-end products. Seems to be a good value for the money.
- Easy to use and apply.
- Many customers have experienced noticeable results.
- You shouldn’t expect Bio-Oil to completely remove scars or stretch marks, as it only helps to reduce their appearance.
- Contains Retinyl, which experts have recommended expectant mothers to stay away from. See this article for additional information.
- Not an all-natural product.
1 out 1 people found this review helpful
Environmental Working Group gave this product an Eight
I purchased this product to help diminish a scar on my neck from surgery. After purchasing this product. I went on the website of EWG to find out if it was safe to use. It was given a score of 8 meaning "Cancer, Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive). I decided to pass on this product.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
0 out 4 people found this review helpful
Not to sound like an infomercial, but it really does work!I was honestly not thinking it would work, because nothing else was. But I started seeing results within the first few days.. I'm so happy with this product! :)
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend