Editor’s note: Each week, our newsletter features a section titled Under the Hood. There, we talk about how we do things here at HighYa and offer a “peek behind the scenes,” if you will.
Once per month, we’ll gather all of these tips and post them here on our blog.
Want to get our Under the Hood section (and much more), hot off the presses? Be sure to enter your email address and subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
New Milstone Reached
HighYa reached a big milestone this month: 15,000 reviews! A big thank you to everyone for getting involved. We couldn’t help consumers shop smarter and avoid scams without you.
Bonus: Fun Facts
Fun facts about HighYa’s first 15,000 reviews:
- 1-Star: 67%
- 2-Star: 6%
- 3-Star: 3%
- 4-Star: 6%
- 5-Star: 18%
Why are there so many 1-star reviews?
A lot of the products we review here at HighYa fall within the nutritional supplements, anti-aging skin care, weight loss, work at home, and “As Seen on TV” niches, which are largely unregulated and unmonitored.
These manufacturers are known to hype up their products and provide little in return—including poor customer service and sneaky extra charges, leading to consumers feeling “scammed.” As a result, they vent their frustration here, as well as other consumer advocacy sites like HighYa.
Remember, if someone’s has a bad experience with a company, they’re twice as likely to tell someone else than if they have a good experience!
Importance of Submitting Reviews
Why submitting reviews is so important? For a couple reasons:
- Your reviews help us identify trends, both good and bad, while building better guides that help consumers like you make smarter decisions.
- No matter how diligent we are, fake reviews can always sneak though. But you can help increase the number of legit reviews and allow the truth to shine through!
We get it: writing a review isn’t always easy, but the rewards are worthwhile. Thanks so much for your effort!
What Makes a Great Review?
In our content, we constantly stress the importance of leaving reviews, which is the best way to help other consumers become more informed.
But what makes a great review? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Reviews that provide insight into the product and/or company. How? By telling your story and sharing your personal experience and unique perspective.
- Don’t forget to include plenty of detail! But be sure to always be truthful and base your review on facts.
- Were you upset? Frustrated? Saddened? Whatever you experienced, we love to see passion coming through in your review. As always though, be sure to refrain from profanity and hatefulness.
- When you’re all worked up, it’s easy to write your review in a “stream of consciousness” format. Before publishing your review, double check for readability. Avoid typing in all caps or using excessive exclamation marks, check for spelling an grammatical errors, break your thoughts up using paragraphs, and put punctuation in its proper place.
All of this can go a long way toward creating helpful content for all of HighYa’s readers.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus