Vitacost is an online retailer that specializes in healthy living merchandise at up to 50% off retail prices. The company claims to have an award-winning customer service department, and that “shopping at Vitacost.com is the smart thing to do.”
Based out of Boca Raton, FL and founded in 1994, Vitacost currently holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, despite having more than 300 closed complaints over the past three years. Online reviews about the company appear to be mixed, with the overwhelming number of complaints citing processing problems with online orders, and poor customer service.
How Vitacost Works
With a business model that “offers savings up to 50% off retail on healthy products,” Vitacost offers more than 40,000 products across 2,500 different brands, including self-branded items. Product categories include:
- Vitamins & Supplements – Vitamins A-K, essential minerals, cases, dailies, pre-natals, and more.
- Sports & Fitness – Protein, recovery, fat burners, goal-oriented (e.g. getting started, building muscle, etc.), pre-workout, and more.
- Beauty & Personal Care – Cosmetics, anti-aging products, personal care, hair care, fragrances, and more.
- Babies & Kids – Formula, diapering, toys, food, bath & skin care, and more.
- Diet Products – What’s hot, top programs, top products, and more.
- Foods & Beverages – Baby food & formula, beverages, condiments, fruit, oils, spices, and more.
- Natural Home – Housewares, yard & outdoors, and more.
- Pet Health – Grooming, healthcare, supplements, toys, and more.
- Herbs & Botanicals – Acai berry, fenugreek, ginkgo biloba, saw palmetto, and more.
- Medicine Cabinet – Allergy & sinus, cold & flu, pain relievers, skincare, and more.
- Deals – Here, you can find up-to-date coupons for Buy One, Get One Half Off, up to 25% off your next purchase, and coupons based on category.
A refreshing feature about the Vitacost site is the presence of sub-categories, such as Doctor Recommended under Vitamins, Endurance & Training under Sports, and Problems Solved under Beauty. In addition, everything Vitacost sells is backed by their Five-Star Guarantee:
- Low prices on everything they sell.
- Friendly, knowledgeable customer service, and an unconditional money back guarantee.
- The highest-quality products.
- Large selection.
- The utmost in security and privacy.
It’s important to note that even though Vitacost claims to have “award-winning” customer service, and that their representatives are knowledgeable and friendly, the number one customer complaint we found (by a wide margin) referenced poor customer service.
Vitacost Pricing & Refund Policy
Because Vitacost offers many different products, prices can vary greatly.
Orders for Vitacost products totaling more than $25, and orders over $50 for all other brands, come with free shipping within the U.S. Otherwise, there is a flat shipping fee of $4.99 (Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are $9.99). If you place your order prior to 1pm, the company claims it will be shipped the same day, and you’ll receive it within 1-4 days.
If you’re looking for items at no cost, be sure to check out their Free Samples page.
- Low prices on more than 40,000 products across 2,000 brands.
- Backed by a Five-Star Guarantee.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Common complaints include problems processing online orders, and poor customer service.
If you’re looking to save some (or a lot of) money on healthy living products, Vitacost may be a great solution for you. However, keep in mind that you may soon experience problems ordering online, and/or poor customer service.
2 out 4 people found this review helpful
Excellent website. I would go broke without it.
I've been shopping on vitacost.com for years and never had any issues. Vitacost has a great selection of products, customer service has always been on point, and I always receive my order in a timely manner. Plus, they sell all of my favorites for a significantly lower price than the local retailers so for me it's worth it.
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
3 out 3 people found this review helpful
Horrible Online Ordering
I had been a long term Vitacost customer for several years. Recently, I moved all of my vitamin orders to other companies due to their awful online ordering system. I called and complained and they told me to download their app and use the app. I did and I'm still having extreme problems. The bottom line is they don't care. I'm going with a vitamin company who does care and has an online ordering system that will work with my mobile phones. Goodbye Vitacost!
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend