About Viviscal Hair Growth
If you’re losing your hair, you may have heard about Viviscal Hair Growth, a daily dietary supplement that claims to help you reduce shedding and achieve fuller, thicker-looking hair. In addition, you may have been intrigued by Viviscal’s claim to be 100% drug free with no sulfates, parabens, or chemicals included.
While it’s true that any effective hair growth supplement would be worth its weight in gold, can Viviscal really help you achieve this, and is it worth the high price? We did some research and here’s what we found.
How Viviscal Works
Whether your hair loss is due to hormonal changes, age, stress, poor diet, or any other factor, you’re probably looking for something to address it. With this in mind, Viviscal Hair Growth claims that their scientifically formulated, clinically proven, drug free hair growth products for men and women provide an answer to thicker and fuller looking hair.
The product’s manufacturer claims that Viviscal is the result of more than 20 years of continuous research and development, and that its benefits are supported by 7 clinical studies (see more about this in the Bottom Line section). Based on this research, Viviscal Hair Growth is claimed to provide essential vitamins and nutrients, as well as a proprietary AminoMar Marine Complex, which can nourish your hair from the inside out, as well as from the outside in.
Viviscal Hair Growth products include:
- Extra Strength Supplement for Women – Claims to be the #1 selling hair growth supplement in the U.S. by providing your hair with the essential nutrients it needs to look its best.
- Extra Strength Supplement for Men – Similar to the women’s supplement, but with a slightly different ingredient formulation targeted at men’s needs.
- Gentle Shampoo – Exfoliates your scalp and cleanses your hair, creating an ideal environment for growth. Claims to work on all hair types and to be suitable for everyday use.
- Moisturizing Conditioner – An ultra light conditioner that claims to nourish, soften, and condition your scalp and hair. Claims to work on all hair types and to be suitable for everyday use.
- Hair & Scalp Serum – A topical hair solution that claims to help prevent heat-related damage and breakage, while also giving your hair a fuller, thicker appearance.
- Hair Filler Fibers – Microscopic, electrostatically charged fibers that instantly volumize for thicker looking hair. Claims to last in wind and rain and to easily wash out with shampoo.
- Viviscal Extra Strength Starter Kit – Includes Extra Strength Dietary Supplements, travel size shampoo and conditioner, Travel Compact with hairbrush, mirror, and tablet case, and the Guide to Fuller, Thicker Hair.
- Viviscal Extra Strength Deluxe Kit – Includes Extra Strength Dietary Supplements, full size shampoo and conditioner bottles, travel size shampoo and conditioner, Travel Compact with hairbrush, mirror, and tablet case, and the Guide to Fuller, Thicker Hair.
According to the Viviscal website, you should take 2 capsules per day and should experience results within 3-6 months.
Viviscal Hair Growth Pricing & Refund Policy
If purchased directly through the manufacturer, Viviscal Hair Growth products are priced as follows:
- Viviscal Extra Strength Supplement (Women & Men): $49.99 for 1-month supply; $119.97 for 3-month supply.
- Gentle Shampoo: $19.99
- Moisturizing Conditioner: $19.99
- Hair & Scalp Serum: $29.99
- Hair Filler Fibers: $24.99
- Viviscal Extra Strength Starter Kit: $39.99 per month or $119.97 quarterly
- Viviscal Extra Strength Deluxe Kit: $46.65 per month or $139.95 quarterly
All Viviscal orders totaling more than $119.97 include free shipping.
If you choose, you can join Viviscal’s Healthy Hair Club autoship program, which means that you’ll continue receiving the Kit of your choice once every 90 days and your credit card will be charged accordingly.
All Viviscal Hair Growth products come with a 90-day money back guarantee, less S&H charges. In order to initiate the process, you’ll need to contact customer service at (800) 473-0145.
Viviscal supplements are also available from Ulta, Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, and many other third-party retailers.
What Do Other Consumers Have to Say About Viviscal?
Overall, it appears that Viviscal Hair Growth has a mostly positive online reputation, with the most common compliments referencing ease of use and beneficial results. However, it should be noted that many customers who experienced results only saw thicker, healthier existing hair; not necessarily any new hair growth.
On the other hand, the most common complaints appear to reference failure to experience results, high price, upset stomach, fishy aftertaste, and skin reactions. Numerous customers have also complained of difficulty falling asleep and gaining weight.
What’s the Bottom Line About Viviscal?
Now that you know more about Viviscal Hair Growth, can you expect it to work and is it worth the money? Maybe, but remember the following:
Out of the 7 clinical studies Viviscal cites as proof of their supplement’s effectiveness, only one of them was peer reviewed, and another study appears to be cited twice on their website. In addition, only one of these studies was ever published, and the company notes that you’ll need to email them in order to obtain copies of the non-published studies.
What does all this mean? In short, while there may be some clinical evidence that the ingredients in Viviscal Hair Growth might help create fuller, thicker hair, it is far from “clinically proven” as the website may lead you to believe.
Value & Effectiveness
Like most supplements aimed at reducing hair loss/improving hair condition, Viviscal comes with a fairly high price; one that may not necessarily be in line with its benefits.
Also, remember that like any other supplement, not all customers will experience benefits from Viviscal, which after 3-6 months of use means that it could turn into a fairly expensive experiment.
With mostly positive customer reviews, Viviscal Hair Growth may help you experience fuller, thicker hair. However, keep in mind that it may not work, and that the price is relatively steep.
- Claims to be a clinically proven, drug-free answer to thicker and fuller hair.
- 100% drug free with no sulfates, parabens, or chemicals included.
- 90-day money back guarantee.
- Most common complaints appear to reference failure to experience results, high price, upset stomach, fishy aftertaste, and skin reactions.
- Can take as long as 3-6 months to see results.
9 out 9 people found this review helpful
Experienced abdominal weight gain, approximately 3-4 lbs after taking for 3 weeks. Discontinued. Also experienced lower abdominal cramping. I'm 5 years post menopause. Should not happen. Will never take these again. Initiating refund. Would not recommend.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
12 out 12 people found this review helpful
No Side Effects and No New Hair
After three months of use, there were no side effects of any kind. On the other hand, I'm finding no improvements to hair texture or density outside more rapid growth of facial hair. The travel size shampoo/conditioner included with the initial shipment are largely unused. The shampoo imparts a strange squeaky feel to my long hair that can't be good for it. Plus, I already use high quality salon and dermatological brands that work well for volume and condition.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend