About Walden University
Founded in 1970 by two teachers intent on finding a way for working adults to obtain their doctoral degrees, Walden University is an accredited online college that offers students a wide variety of doctoral, master’s, and bachelor’s degree programs. The school’s student-centered approach provides flexible learning solutions for real people, with real jobs and families, in 10 different areas of study:
- Business and Management (Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Communication and New Media (Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Criminal Justice and Emergency Management (Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Education (Doctoral and Post Master’s, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates, Teacher Preparation Programs)
- Information Technology (Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Nursing (Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Psychology and Counseling (Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Public Health and Health Sciences (Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Public Policy and Administration (Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Certificates)
- Social Work and Human Services (Doctoral, Ph.D., Master’s)
From a recognition perspective, Walden University, its faculty, 61,000 alumni, and 46,500 students have won many awards in a wide variety of fields. And, according to the University, if you’ve already taken some coursework, up to 50% of it may transfer for program credits.
Walden University’s Online Accreditation
Below are Walden University’s numerous accreditations:
- Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
- The Richard W. Riley College of Education and Leadership at Walden University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Walden’s B.S. in Business Administration, Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Executive M.B.A., Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.), and Ph.D. in Management programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Walden's M.S. in Mental Health Counseling program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Walden's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Master of Science in Nursing and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Completion programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Walden University’s M.S. in Project Management program is accredited by the Project Management Institute (PMI)® Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs (GAC).
Walden University’s Online Learning Environment
Like most other online universities, Walden offers all its students access to their own dashboard that contains your syllabus, learning objectives, assignments, quizzes, audio and video content projects, discussions, grades, and also gives you easy access to classmates and instructors. While there is no specific time that you need to log in for class, your assignments will be due at set times every week. Walden recommends that students have 15-20 hours per week to devote to their studies.
Something unique to Walden is their MobileLearnSM experience, which is designed to give students the flexibility to learn using methods that match their lifestyle. In other words, you can download podcasts and other audio content from your classes, and listen to them when it’s convenient for you. All content, videos, and resources are hosted on Walden’s iTunes U channel.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Because tuition fees can vary widely depending on your program or degree, Walden University’s website is a good place to start if you’re interested in costs. Like any other university, Walden accepts grants, loans, issues various scholarships, and even awards a number of fellowships.
Walden provides students with an extensive list of services, including: Academic support, career services, disability services, personal advisors, library and research support, as well as technology support.
See Related Article: Is On-Campus or Online Education the Right Choice for you?