About Dr. Colorchip
Based out of Lake Park, FL and rated #1 by the Wall Street Journal, Dr. ColorChip manufacturer a paint chip repair kit that is claimed to provide “fast, simple, professional repairs without paint blobs.” The company claims that their paint chip repair kits are easier to use than traditional touch-up paint or pens, and your paint is guaranteed to be a perfect OEM match.
Dr. ColorChip is not rated with the Better Business Bureau, and does not have any formal complaints. Online reviews for the paint chip repair kits seem positive, with the most common complaints citing the fact that the paint does not fill in the chips (instead, it simply paints over them), and the amount of time required to complete the process.
How Dr. ColorChip Works
According to the Dr. ColorChip website, anybody can use their product, with dramatic, permanent results. Their paint is a “unique formulation of high-quality automotive tints and chemicals” that dries quickly, does not shrink, and will last for years. It will work on metal, plastic, fiberglass, and most primed surfaces, and includes metallic and tri-coat (e.g. “pearl”) colors.
While you can use a Dr. ColorChip kit to repair certain types of small, narrow scratches, it is best for chips and “road rash” that are smaller than the size of a pencil eraser. Whatever type of paint damage you’ll be repairing though, be sure to wash your car and make sure it is completely dry prior to beginning.
Once you’re ready to go, the Dr. ColorChip paint repair kit uses a proprietary three-step process that can be completed in minutes:
- Dab the paint onto the appropriate areas of your vehicle using the included brush, and wipe away any excess with your finger. Make sure you’re covering an area slightly larger than the size of the paint chip. The paint will dry to the touch within one minute.
- Apply the SealAct solution using a cotton wiping cloth, or even a t-shirt. Rub in a light circular motion over paint already applied to vehicle, which acts to blend the paint.
- Wipe dry with a microfiber towel, which will gently buff off any residual wetness from the SealAct. Although your paint will quickly dry to the touch, it may take as long as a week to fully cure.
Keep in mind that, while their paint chip repair kits are the most popular, Dr. ColorChip also offers a wide variety of other personal and commercial products.
Dr. ColorChip Pricing & Refund Policy
Prior to purchasing, you’ll need to either use the handy OEM color match or car model search tools located on the Dr. ColorChip website, which will ensure that you’ll receive an exact color match for your vehicle. According to the Dr. ColorChip website, the company has the ability to match 95% of colors currently available on the market. However, if your vehicle is older than a 1994 model, you may be best served by sending in a paint chip to the company for the best match.
After matching your vehicle’s color, you’ll be able to choose from six different options:
- Dr. ColorChip Squirt 'n Squeegee Kit: $64.95 – Includes paint, SealAct, squeegee, glove, cotton blending cloth, and brushes. Enough for 100s of repairs.
- Road Rash Kit: $59.95 – A slighter smaller kit that should provide enough paint for more than 24 chips.
- Standard Touch-Up Paint Kit: $49.95 – Same as the Road Rash kit, but with only 1/2oz of paint.
- Basic Touch-Up Paint Kit: $39.95 – Includes 1/2oz of paint, 1oz of SealAct, 1 ultra paint brush, 1 nitrile glove, and 1 white blending cloth.
- Paint Refill – 1 oz. bottle: $36.00
- Paint Refill – 1/2 oz. bottle: $28.00
If you buy two or more Dr. ColorChip kits, you’ll receive 10% off of each. If you run into any problems or have any questions—whether during ordering or paint application—you can always contact someone at Dr. ColorChip, and they’ll walk you through the process.
All Dr. ColorChip products come with a 60-day return policy, but this only applies to color matching problems (e.g. the company sent you the wrong color). Since all of their products are customized based on the customers’ needs, refunds for any other reason are not accepted. To begin the return process, simply contact customer service for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number.
- Easy to use, permanent solution for small paint chips on your vehicle.
- Works on most types of surfaces.
- Exact OEM color match for your vehicle.
- Primarily positive online reviews.
- Website is very thorough and helpful.
- Most common complaints include the fact that the paint does not fill in chips (simply paints over them), and the amount of time required to complete the process.
Awful product, does not match or fill in even small chips
The product simply does not work. I was under the impression it was a "thick" formula, it is basically touch up paint. The color sent to me does not remotely match, awful experience, horrible product. The "wipe off" portion does not take the excess product off until late into the process of wiping. They state to "wipe level" with your gloved fingers? Simply not realistic. I watched a video and bought the stuff based on what it appeared to be in the video, but I should have known better. I spend 10 bucks at the auto parts store and just get touch-up paint, it will at least match.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
8 out 8 people found this review helpful
As good as you're going to get without a body shop.
I have brought several of these kits for a bunch of cars and trucks I've owned including a white pearl tri-coat Lincoln MKZ. Bottom line is no paint repair is going to be perfect unless you are having the body shop do a re-spray. But the Dr. Colorchip product is darn good. It fills the chip ever so slightly with paint that you buff off the excess with a chemical sealer. If you have a deep chip you repeat the process a few times until it's as good as you can get it. If you're searching for your chip repair after completing it, you will likely still find it up close. But a foot or two away it blends right in. Not like when you use those brush in the cap touch up paints that leave a blob and mark on the surface. So I'd have to say if you love your car and you're anal about its looks, this is for you. You'll like what it can do, just don't expect a brand new body shop finish when you are done.
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
10 out 10 people found this review helpful
Does what it says! GREAT product.
This paint system colors the chips. The chip does not magically disappear. If you want a showroom finish, pay a few thousand dollars to get your vehicle repainted. This makes the chip invisible from roughly 3 - 5 feet from the vehicle. Closer even, if you have a good wax job.
Bottom line is that your car/truck WILL look better after this process is finished.
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend