LegalZoom in an affordable online legal documents service intended for use by individuals and small businesses. Originally founded by attorneys, LegalZoom’s mission is to make important documents that provide legal protection available to as many people as possible.
LegalZoom offers a large number of legal documents that cover a wide variety of areas, such as starting and running your business, as well as personal and estate planning. For example, a few of their more popular documents include forming an LLC, Incorporation, Operating Agreements, By-Laws, Annual Reports, Patents and Copyrights, Nonprofit 501(c)(3) Applications, Trademark, Wills and Trusts, Bankruptcy, Divorce, Real Estate Lease, in addition to other real estate documents.
LegalZoom has made the implementation process fairly straightforward:
- Select the document you need.
- Answer a guided online questionnaire. If you require assistance during this portion, you can contact support directly via email or phone.
- After your questionnaire is completed, LegalZoom’s Document Assistants review your answers, and obtain additional information from you, if necessary.
- Once everything is in order, your documents, including instructions, are printed out and sent directly to you. With some services, LegalZoom will even file documents on your behalf with the appropriate government agency.
For every document that you need to create, LegalZoom does a good job of explaining the process, as well as the specific requirements. LegalZoom has in-house attorneys that ensure quality, and the website has a lot of good, useful information pertaining to each document.
Depending on the documents you require, pricing can range anywhere from just a few hundred dollars, to well into the thousands.
If you’re working on a document and have questions, but have been unable to find an answer, you can obtain help from a real attorney within the LegalZoom network for a monthly subscription plan of $24/month for businesses, and $12/month for individuals. These plans cover one 30-minute consultation per legal matter. If you still require additional assistance once the 30 minutes have been exhausted, you will then be billed standard hourly rates with a 25% discount. These plans provide assistance with an unlimited number of legal matters, but you do only receive 30 minutes for each matter. In addition, a review of up to 10 pages of documents is also included in the plan.
- Large selection of legal documents that cover most personal and small business needs.
- The service is easy to use.
- Rated “A” by the Better Business Bureau.
- All services come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason, LegalZoom promises to correct the problem, provide a refund, or offer credit for future orders.
- Customers can rest assured that their documents will be filed correctly.
- Good customer service response, including phone support.
- Fraction of the cost when compared to independently hiring an attorney, with up to 85% savings.
- LegalZoom claims that over 80% of customer feedback is positive.
- Legal advice plans cover only 30 minutes of consultation per legal matter.
- LegalZoom is not ideal for complicated matters.
- If you signed up for the monthly legal plan, and you no longer wish to use the service, make sure to opt out in order to avoid future monthly charges.
- You have to be very attentive in reading all directions and instructions.
- LegalZoom has a lot of terms and conditions, so make sure to read them carefully. If you need additional clarification, contact the company by phone before finalizing your purchase.
You might also be interested in:
- Are There Real Signs of Economic Growth Today?
- Facebook Marketing Strategy for Small Businesses
8 out 8 people found this review helpful
Customer Dissatisfaction Guarantee
I've been fighting with LegalZoom for over week via email and phone calls. When I filed my LLC in New York City, they didn't warn me that I would have to publish my company in 2 NYC newspapers and it would cost between $1300 and $2000. Though, they do have something in fine print at the bottom of the LLC page, I didn't see it, until I really searched for it 2 months later. Though they mention it in fine print, I feel that NYC is a special exception because of the high cost and there should have been something in LARGE print to catch a novice businessperson's attention.
They continue to tell me it's my fault. I've never expressed dissatisfaction to a company like LegalZoom and have that big company tell me it's my fault. Amazon, Zappos, or Apple would NEVER do something like that. That's why they have customer loyalty and LegalZoom does not.
They did offer me a small refund after I started complaining on Twitter. Really? After so many emails and phone calls and now they offer me a refund? Guess what? They offered me a fraction compared to the financial burden that I've incurred doing business with them. Clearly, they are in it for themselves and don't care about their customers.
I give them zero stars. They have to make this up to me.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
11 out 11 people found this review helpful
Beware of the Credit Card Auto Charges
I used LegalZoom one time to get power of attorney over my dying father and LegalZoom Continued to charge my card monthly for some bogus Advantage Plus membership that I never signed up for. It took me a while to realize I was being charged. When I called to get a refund I was told they would refund half of the money. If you use this company for anything at all beware of auto charges on your credit card for things you did not sign up for.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
4 out 5 people found this review helpful
I had a pretty good experience. There were a couple issues that I'm not sure about, but I was able to complete the process. The site was having issues and I had to call and that wasn't really much help. The rep that was assigned to me was nice, but he had never seen this site issue. Then I had to be transferred and that was completely no help because I didn't have an order number. I waited on hold for a bit to be told that which was frustrating.
Once everything got going it was a smooth process. They filed my docs for me and now I'm a registered LLC. I give them a 4 out of 5. I'd use them for other services if I was in the market.
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend