About Murad Advanced Breakout Control
Murad promises that their Advanced Breakout Control kit is powerful enough to rapidly resolve breakouts while gently soothing irritation. The result? Murad claims that 96% of users see clearer, healthier-looking skin in just 72 hours.
Founded in 1989, the Southern California-based company was created by Dr. Murad. Called ‘The Father of Internal Skincare,’ Dr. Murad takes an ‘inside-out’ approach to dermatology. He has authored five best-selling books, each of which focuses on various aspects of whole-body wellness, such as stress relief, to combat troubled or aging skin. Dr. Murad has also received a number of awards and Murad, as a company, holds an A+ rating the with Better Business Bureau.
How Murad Advance Breakout Control Works
Murad Advanced Breakout Control is a 3-step system aimed at fighting breakouts for clearer, smoother, healthier-looking skin. The kit includes:
- Murad Clarifying Cleanser: By applying a small amount to your face and neck and then rinsing with warm water, this product uses ingredients like encapsulated salicylic acid and green tea extract to help wash away grime and oil that can clog pores, while leaving behind healthier-looking skin.
- Murad Acne Clearing Solution: After massaging the product over your clean face, neck, and chest, this formula can help clear breakouts and manage other symptoms like dryness, sensitivity, and peeling.
- Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion: The company claims that their Skin Perfecting Lotion is an ultra-light, oil-free moisturizing formula that minimizes the appearance of your pores while refining your skin’s texture. Apply to your face, neck, and chest every day after cleansing and applying the Acne Clearing Solution.
The Murad Advanced Breakout Control system is designed to be used twice a day—once in the morning and once at night. However, the primary ingredient in each of Murad’s acne-fighting products is salicylic acid (the cleanser contains 1.5% while the treatment and lotion each contain 0.5%). The website acknowledges that salicylic acid can be drying—which may cause discomfort, particularly to those who suffer from cystic acne. If you experience dryness and flaking, Murad recommends substituting a moisturizing cleanser and lotion combo once a day.
Murad Advance Breakout Control Pricing & Refund Policy
Murad products are available through numerous online and brick-and-mortar retailers, including:
- Sephora ($42)-Clearing Solution only. No free shipping. No auto-ship programs.
- Ulta Beauty ($34)- Entire 3-step kit, plus a gift of one additional product: the Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix. Free shipping with purchases over $35. No auto-ship programs.
- Murad.com or MuradAcne.com ($29.95)- Entire 3-step kit, plus two additional gift products: the Murad Clarifying Mask and Acne Spot Fast Fix. Note: The $29.95 initial price is for a 30-day starter kit. To qualify for this price, you must sign up for Murad’s Healthy Skin Club—an auto-ship program in which you will automatically be sent an additional 90-day kit every three months. Members will be billed $29.95 monthly, plus and additional $8.95 every time a shipment is sent. California residents also pay an additional 9% sales tax. There is no commitment, and your auto-ship program can be canceled at any time by calling customer service at 1-888-786-8723.
Each retailer has their own return policy. However, products ordered from Murad.com or MuradAcne.com are covered by a 60-day return policy, less shipping and handling charges. To begin the return process, contact customer service at the number listed above.
Clearing Up Some Misconceptions About Acne
No matter where on your face or body you have acne, or at what stage in your life it pops up, pimples are a pain. And, while everyone knows that they want their acne to go away, most folks don’t understand that not all acne is caused by the same reasons—thus, there’s no single treatment that works for everyone.
For example, contrary to what companies such as Murad say, pores don’t get blocked from the top down due to ‘impurities.’ Rather, the walls of a pore collapse then stick together deep within the skin. This prevents sebum (oil) from escaping and starts an acne formation.
But, what causes the walls of a pore to collapse in the first place? The truth is, scientists still don’t fully understand acne. While certain myths have been debunked, such as the idea that touching your face causes pimples, exactly why and how acne sticks around for some people or subsides easily for others still isn’t known.
Scientists do know that acne is at least in part a hormonal disease, which is why it most commonly strikes during puberty. While diet, vitamin deficiencies, stress, and evolutionary biology can each also play a part in your risk of pimples, the only other thing we know about acne for sure is that it’s characterized by inflammation. That’s why ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and retinoids, which have anti-inflammatory properties, are included in many acne products.
So, What About Salicylic Acid?
The main acne-fighting ingredient in Murad’s Advanced Breakout Control is salicylic acid. This potent ingredient can be found in many over-the-counter acne medications like those Stridex pads 80’s kids will remember scrubbing all over their face.
Salicylic acid helps prevent clogging by slowing down cell shedding inside follicles, while also helping to break down blackheads and whiteheads.
If you’ve ever used a product with salicylic acid, you’ll have experienced a slight stinging sensation. However, don’t think treating acne is a ‘no pain, no gain’ game. Instead, salicylic acid is reported as only providing ‘moderate at best’ results.
Essentially, if your skin problems stop at some clogged pores, whiteheads, and blackheads, salicylic acid might work for you. However, if you experience cystic acne, comedones (those are pimples with the big, white center), or moderate-to-severe irritation, there are treatments that are more effective—and less irritating—than those that depend on salicylic acid.
What Customers Are Saying About Advance Breakout Control
Common complaints on Acne.org’s forum are that Murad Advance Breakout Control is extremely drying and causes irritation. The 3-step regimen receives an average rating of 2.5/ 5 stars from 857 reviews. Again, it should be noted that skin, and how it responds to acne treatments, is highly individual. That being said, some reviewers state that they absolutely loved the regimen. Others swear that it increased their acne, causing painful lesions and inflammation.
Should You Buy Murad Advance Breakout Control?
Murad appears to be a reputable company, and while they do strong-arm customers into an auto-ship program, there are no unresolved complaints from customers who felt over-charged or had difficulty canceling their memberships.
However, if you’re suffering from moderate to severe acne, it’s probably best to go to a dermatologist—particularly one that specializes in acne—before attempting an over-the-counter treatment. Even in non-prescription concentrations, ingredients such as salicylic acid can cause irritation or reactions that could lead to permanent scarring.
And please don’t labor under the misconception that there is no cure for acne! Accutane (isotretinoin) provides long-term remission of acne symptoms in approximately 2/3 of people—including me! While going on Accutane is a bit of an ordeal, it’s a lot better than waking up each morning to fight with every square inch of your face.
Finally, if your acne is mild and you’d just like something to smooth the surface of your skin, Murad Advanced Breakout Control could very well fit the bill! Just remember that there are products with the same concentrations of salicylic acid available at every drugstore—for a fraction of the price.