About Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus
According to the Puritan's Pride website, most digestion occurs in the intestines, and by balancing intestinal flora and improving nutrient absorption, their Probiotic Acidophilus supplement claims to help improve your digestive system’s overall function. The company appears to be heavily promoting their Probiotic Acidophilus supplement online, so you may have seen an advertisement and are wondering if it really works like it claims.
With this in mind, can Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus really help improve your digestion? Let’s find out.
Quick Details About Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus
Through the use of millions (or billions) of individual “beneficial” microorganisms, Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus is claimed to provide you with three primary benefits, when taken on a regular basis:
- Improved nutrient absorption
- Balanced intestinal flora
- Healthier intestinal system function
Puritan’s Pride offers numerous versions of their Acidophilus-based probiotics, including:
- Probiotic Acidophilus – Contains 100 million live Acidophilus cells.
- Probiotic 10 – Contains 20 billion live probiotic cultures across 10 strains. Also contains inulin, in addition to a proprietary complex consisting of Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus paracasei, and Lactobacillus casei. Also available in a 55 billion-cell version.
- Acidophilus Complex 20 Billion – Contains 20 billion active organisms of Lactobacillus acidophilus, B. bifidum.
- Acidophilus & Digestive Enzymes – Contains 4 billion active cultures, in addition to a digestive enzyme complex consisting of Bromelain, Papain, Protease 3.0, Amylase, Lipase, Protease 4.5, Lactase, Cellulase, Hemicellulase, and fiber enzyme.
- Probiotic Acidophilus w/Pectin– Contains 3 billion live cells of a proprietary Acidophilus blend, in addition to citrus pectin.
- Probiotic Acidophilus Complex – Contains a blend of 1 billion active L. Acidophilus and B. lactis cultures.
- PB 8® Probiotic Acidophilus – Contains bacteria with a “special coating” that protects them from stomach acid, and a proprietary blend of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, plantarum, inulin, and magnesium.
- Probiotic Acidophilus Liquid – Contains 20 billion live organisms, including Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, and Lactobacillus thermophilus. Available in plain, blueberry, and strawberry flavors.
Puritan’s Pride Probiotic Acidophilus is available in capsule, tablet, and chewable forms, and should be taken anywhere from 1-3 times per day (depending on the formula you choose), preferably with food.
Puritan’s Pride claims that all their supplements are manufactured with the highest quality ingredients, and don’t include artificial ingredients, soy, gluten, colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, sugar, starch, milk, lactose, soy, gluten, wheat, yeast, fish, or sodium.
Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus Pricing & Refund Policy
Puritan's Pride Acidophilus Probiotics range in price between $7 and $43 for three bottles, and $15 and $83 for six bottles, and domestic shipping is a flat $4.95.
When checking out, you’ll be able to choose between a one-time order, or the option to enroll in an autoship program. If you choose the latter, you’ll also be able to choose how often you’d like to receive a new shipment.
All Puritan’s Pride products come with a one-year satisfaction guarantee, less shipping and handling charges. In order to initiate a refund, you’ll need to contact customer service at (800) 645-1030.
What Do Other Consumers Have to Say About Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus?
Puritan’s Pride is a nutritional supplements manufacturer based out of Carbondale, IL, and holds a C- rating with the Better Business Bureau, based on 23 closed complaints over the past three years. These complaints are quite varied, and include poor customer service, difficulty processing a refund, and non-delivery of products.
While customer reviews on the Puritan’s Pride website were almost wholly positive, most of the complaints we encountered regarding their Acidophilus probiotic were in line with most other probiotics we’ve reviewed, such as Whole Body Keybiotics, Trubiotics, and Align Probiotic, and included failure to work and stomach/intestinal upset.
What’s the Bottom Line About Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus?
So what’s the bottom line? If you’re looking to improve your digestive system’s function, should you take Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus? While we didn’t uncover any big red flags during our research, keep in mind the following:
First, as with any supplement, you should consult with your physician prior to taking Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus. While we couldn’t find any negative reviews, including on the Puritan’s Pride website, some common complaints associated with probiotics include failure to work and stomach/intestinal upset.
Next, while the company claims that their Acidophilus probiotic contains no lactose, many of their formulations may contain a form of Lactobacillus, which is derived from milk. As such, you may be fine if you’re lactose sensitive, but not if you’re lactose intolerant.
Finally, Puritan’s Pride appears to stand by all their products with a one-year satisfaction guarantee. This speaks volumes about the pride (no pun intended) they take in their products.
3 out 5 people found this review helpful
To be honest, I haven't taken my medications for Psoriatic arthritis, Raynard's disease nor Carpel Tunnel. I haven't had joint stiffness nor pain or numbness in my hands since a couple of months after starting on the Puritans Probiotics. I think I'll keep taking them.
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend