Based in San Mateo, CA, SugarSync is an online service that uses cloud-based technology to sync all your documents, photos, music, videos, and everything else you can think of, between multiple computers and mobile devices. Founded in 2008, SugarSync has been highly recommended by CNET, PC Magazine, TechCrunch, and the New York Times, and claims that they are “…the best way to backup, access, sync, and share your files.”
In addition to the ability to access your files using mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, Android, Blackberry, and Windows phones, as well as Symbian, you can also use SugarSync across both Mac and Windows platforms by installing their Drive Program.
Once your files are uploaded, SugarSync offers the ability to appoint users and grant them certain permissions to modify documents, as well as the ability to share them via Facebook, Twitter, and public hyperlinks. Share just one picture or whole albums, and even sync music directly to your mobile device.
SugarSync provides continuous and automatic file backup, which allows you to restore all of your synced files in the event of a computer or mobile device failure. In addition, because SugarSync stores the previous five versions of any document, users have the ability to restore these files, should the need arise.
From a security standpoint, SugarSync states that they place a strong emphasis on data safety, including the use of TLS (Transport Layer Security) for file uploads, and 128-bit AES encryption for cloud storage. SugarSync claims that users can rest assured their information is safe, as they have implemented the same level of protection used during online financial transactions.
SugarSync offers three personal storage plans, depending on your individual needs:
- Up to 60GB of storage starting at $7.49 per month, or $74.99 per year if you pay in one lump sum (saving you $15.00).
- Up to 100GB of storage starting at $9.99 per month, or $99.99 per year if you pay in one lump sum (saving you $20.00).
- Up to 250GB of storage starting at $24.99 per month, or $249.99 per year if you pay in one lump sum (saving you $50.00).
SugarSync also offers a Pro Package business plan, which provides up to 1TB of storage with access for anywhere from 3-24 users. Three-user pricing starts at $55.00 per month, or $550.00 per year (saving your business $100.00). For corporate customers in need of additional storage, SugarSync recommends contacting their sales department directly at 855-784-7962 for a custom quote.
If you would like to utilize SugarSync’s storage services without paying any money, they also offer a basic Free Account, which provides up to 5GB of storage and limited features.
Regardless of the plan you choose, SugarSync offers a free 30-day trial, which reverts to a paid program one the trial period has ended. If you do not wish to continue the service after that time, you will need to cancel your subscription.
- Offers ability to access files across any computer or mobile device, regardless of location.
- Several personal and business plans to meet your storage needs, starting at $7.49 per month.
- Recommended by tech industry leaders such as CNET, PC Magazine, and TechCrunch.
- Strong emphasis on data security, including 128-bit AES.
- Restore previous file versions if lost.
- File backup is continuous and automatic.
- No unlimited storage plans.
- Some customers have complained about the lack of phone support, which currently includes email and live chat only.