I have been very happy with my humidifiers. I have the smaller one in my bedroom and the larger one in the living room. I have not needed to get my big electric one out although I have been running the heat for a couple of months now.
No sore throats, no static electricity, no noise, and easy to fill. I use filtered water and so far have not noticed any mold. The large ball has recently (about a week) developed about a quarter size solid white ring that looks like salt crystals (white powdery dust).
I'm not sure what to do with it but it does seem that the ring has gotten larger in the last couple of days. I haven't read that anyone else has had this problem.
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend