About Hair Club
Founded in 1976 by Sy Sperling, Hair Club is a company with offices throughout the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico that claims to provide hair loss restoration and treatments for men and women. According to HairClub.com, each person’s hair loss is different and it’s an ongoing process that can change over time. But no matter what kind of hair loss you have, they claim to have a discreet, proven treatment to fit your budget, including:
- Non-Surgical Hair Replacement – Uses the “virtually undetectable” BioMatrix Strand-by-Strand process to add hair only where you need it, and to provide the volume and density you desire in as little as 4 weeks. Hair Club claims no one will ever notice, even when up close. You can also choose to have your hair replaced all at once, or over time in order to be more discreet.
- Hair Transplant Surgery – Known as Microscopic Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation, this involves the removal of hair follicles from the sides or back of your scalp, which are then transplanted to balding/thinning areas, where they’ll continue to grow naturally. Hair Club claims their hair transplant surgery generally last 3-8 hours, although it can take 9-12 months to see a full cosmetic difference.
- Extreme LaserComb – An FDA approved treatment that’s applied 3 times per week, 10-15 minutes per session, and is claimed to use low-energy laser diodes to increase blood flow in the scalp and to promote thicker hair growth. The Extreme LaserComb is claimed to be especially effective when used in conjunction with the EXT Extreme Hair Therapy system of shampoos, conditioners, scalp cleansers, and nutritional supplements.
- Xtrands – Adds multiple strands to each of your own hairs, which can maximize thickness and fullness. According to HairClub.com, Xtrands can help you achieve natural results and instant volume, in addition to hassle-free maintenance.
Hair Club claims that the efficacy of their treatment options is backed by “extensive testing and hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers,” but can you reasonably expect to experience the same? In other words, can HairClub.com provide you with a thick, luscious head of hair, or just a thinning bank account? Consider the following:
What’s Causing Your Hair Loss?
According to the HairClub.com website, there are numerous causes of hair loss, including heredity (also known as male/female pattern baldness), age, medical conditions, disease, diet, hormonal imbalance, and more. And depending on the cause of your hair loss, how advanced it is, and other characteristics unique to you, Hair Club claims to provide an individualized treatment plan that will maximize results.
In order to accomplish this, you can take the quick assessment on the Hair Club website to find out which solution is right for you, or schedule a TrichoView Hair and Scalp Analysis at your local Hair Club center.
The Pros & Cons of HairClub.com Treatments
You’ll need to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each Hair Club treatment, or speak with a HairClub.com specialist who can walk you through the process. However, here are some of the top pros and cons for each Hair Club treatment:
- Non-Surgical Hair Replacement – While you don’t have to worry about painful surgery or long recovery times, it’s recommended that you revisit a Hair Club-trained stylist for a once monthly shampoo and trim.
- Hair Transplant Surgery – While hair transplant surgery arguably provides the most complete, life-like hair restoration results, the surgeries themselves can take hours to complete, and you’ll need to lay low for a week or so in order to recover. On top of this, it can take up to a year for you to experience results.
- Extreme LaserComb – While laser/light diodes have been shown to help regrow hair, according the LA Times, “there's no good evidence that the LaserComb works any better than more-established treatments such as the prescription medications Rogaine or Propecia.” And while there’s no indication on the company’s website exactly how much they charge per session, purchasing your own laser comb can cost hundreds of dollars.
- Xtrands – While this appears to be the fastest and least expensive option offered by Hair Club, it is only temporary and will have to be reapplied relatively frequently in order to maintain the same volume and thickness.
Are There Other Options for Reducing Thinning & Increasing Hair Volume?
In addition to the treatments offered by Hair Club, there are a variety of at-home remedies for thin hair, including making sure you’re not over-drying your hair, avoiding products containing ammonium lauryl sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate, shortening the length of your hair, and more.
For additional tips you can immediately put to use, we’d recommend searching online for “how to add thickness to hair,” “how to stop thinning hair,” or “how to increase hair volume.”
Do Customers Think Hair Club’s Treatments Are Worthwhile?
After searching for “Hair Club reviews,” we found more than 130 complaints on Pissed Consumer with an average rating of 1.3 stars. Most of these appeared to revolve around high prices, products/procedures that were of low quality/didn’t work well (in fact, multiple customers claimed their hair fell out instead of growing thicker), and high-pressure sales tactics during consultations.
Elsewhere online, other customer review websites such as ComplaintsBoard.com, Yelp, RipoffReport.com, and TrustLink.org appear to mirror many of these same complaints.
Hair Club for Men, Ltd is based out of Boca Raton, FL (although their hair transplantation services are provided by the affiliated physicians of Bosley Medical Group), and holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, despite having nearly 150 closed complaints (as of 1/31/15). Most of these appear to run the gamut from dissatisfaction with products/services to problems with financing.
Hair Club Pricing & Satisfaction Guarantee
While Hair Club’s prices aren’t specifically outline online, you can pay anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to may thousands, depending on the treatment option(s) you choose.
All HairClub.com treatments come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, although the exact details can vary depending on the treatment. As such, we’d recommend reading through Hair Club’s Terms & Conditions for full details.
To obtain a free copy of HairClub.com’s Ultimate Hair Loss Guide or to ask any questions, you can contact customer service at (888) 498-6685.
Is HairClub.com Your Answer to Fuller, Thicker Hair?
Chopping to the point: Considering the individualized nature of hair loss, some Hair Club treatments will work much better for some than for others. And despite the numerous negative online customer reviews for the company, they’ve been in business for nearly 40 years, so they must be doing something right.
With this said, when you visit your nearest Hair Club center during your consultation, you might want to go into it understanding that you won’t make any purchases until you’ve had time to weigh all your options, since the sales pressure can be pretty high. Also, unless you can’t avoid it, you may want to avoid signing up for any new credit to pay for your services.
45 out 49 people found this review helpful
Only sell you what makes them the most money
I went to the hair club in the Bala Cynwyd, PA and they don't care what solution they sell you. They didn't even do the scalp check and just gave me answers on why nothing other than their hair system will work. They wasted my money and their consultants (salespeople) say anything to sell the system because it has the most margin.
If you live in the US, you're pretty much screwed if you want any kind of permanent solution because I've had the hair system, and two hair transplants from Beverly Hills, CA from Bosley. It's all a joke in my opinion and the US companies have denoted too much money to politicians to keep the FDA from approving other treatments that actually might work like synthetic hair transplant.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend