SugarBear Hair promises to be the sweeter way to a Rapunzel-worthy mane. The multivitamins — which looks just like those nutrient-enriched gummy bears that give your daily dose of vitamins A through Z — claim to provide everything you need to nourish your hair from within.
By snacking on just two SugarBear Hair vitamins a day, the product promises to help you:
- Grow longer and stronger hair
- Nourish your hair from within
- Improve overall health
- Increase hair strength
- Improve hair elasticity
- Stop hair breakage
A positive note for vegetarians, SugarBear Hair promises to be a gluten and gelatin-free supplement.
Who’s behind this berrylicious snack? The official product’s About Us page reads like a bad Dr. Seuss book, so we’ll have to verify their claims through science instead.
Hair — How Low Can You Go?
Before we look at what can help hair grow longer and stronger, let’s take a closer look at what your hair is made of and what makes it grow.
Your hair grows from follicles within the skin. The part of the hair inside the follicle (below the skin's surface) is known as the hair root, while the portion you see protruding from the head is the hair shaft. At the base of the hair root is the hair bulb, where nutrients are received and new cells are formed.
Within your hair’s follicles — right below the skin’s surface — is the dermal papilla. This bulb is what generates new hair cells. While there’s a lot more to how hair cells mature, for the purpose of understanding SugarBear Hair’s claims, what’s important is that each strand of hair is made up of proteins that emerge from the dermal papilla. However, by the time these cells breach your scalp to form a strand of hair, they’re no longer alive.
Why is it important to understand how hair is formed?
Because what comes out of your scalp is reflective of what you put into your body. However, changes in your diet can only be reflected as fast as hair grows.
How Fast Does Hair Grow?
Most studies say that hair grows six inches (15 centimeters) per year — about a half an inch per month.
However, that average doesn’t take ethnicity into account. According to howstuffworks.com, Asian hair grows the fastest, at six inches per year. African American hair only clocks in at four. Caucasian hair? It falls in the middle, at roughly five inches per year.
Average rates aside, is there any truth to the idea that hair grows faster in the summer months? Pros say that there might be a marginal shift in the speed of growth thanks to an increase in UV exposure. However, it’s mostly an old wives’ tale.
Instead, it’s those natural highlights, which cause a line of demarcation from the scalp, that make locks look as if they’re growing faster during warmer months.
What Can Help Hair To Grow
While there isn’t a patented formula that can help your hair go from pixie to mermaid overnight, some nutrients have been identified has promoting a longer, stronger mane.
B Vitamins, biotin, and folate are often cited as key nutrients when attempting to encourage hair to reach new lengths.
Biotin, in particular, is frequently cited as a pro-hair supplement. Its uses go beyond general hair health to helping prevent hair from going gray and stimulate scalp circulation which promotes healthier hair growth.
How SugarBear Hair Claims To Work
SugarBear Hair vitamins contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin B-6, Folic Acid, Vitamin B-12, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Iodine, and Zinc. For flavor, the gummies are formulated with real berries, but also include coconut oil and “a dash of sugar.”
SugarBear Hair gives an in-depth look at many ingredients included in their supplements. We’ve already touched on the benefits of biotin, but here’s a summary of the rest:
- Vitamin A: Necessary for cell growth. It also helps with healthy sebum production in the scalp, which prevents strands from drying out. Vitamin A can be found in fruits and vegetables like cantaloupe, peaches, spinach, and carrots.
- B Vitamins: From B6, B9, B12, to B complex and Folic Acid, these needed to help create iron, so cells work properly — including those produced by the dermal papilla. These can be found in found in cruciferous veggies like kale, brussels sprouts, and broccoli.
- Vitamin C: Responsible for producing collagen, which is important for strengthening hair and improving hair growth. It can be found in fruits like blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, and oranges.
- Vitamin D: Promotes healthy follicle growth, reducing hair loss. It can be found especially in dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese. If you don't get enough Vitamin D from your diet, make sure to spend around 10-15 minutes outside every day, as you can also get Vitamin D from the sun.
- Vitamin E: Can prevent hair loss by helping to keep the scalp healthy. It can be found in foods such beans, soybeans, leafy greens, and nuts.
- Zinc: Repairs damage to hair cells while also keeping oil glands surrounding follicles in peak shape. It can be found in foods like oysters, red meat, and cereals.
We’ve stated above that the suggested serving of SugarBear Hair vitamins is two per day. However, the manufacturer fails to state how long it takes to see results or how much extra growth you can expect.
SugarBear Hair Pricing & Refund Policy
Consumers interested in purchasing SugarBear Hair supplements are given three choices:
- 1 Month - $29.99
- 3 Months - $81.99
- 6 Months - $154.99
Each order within the U.S. is charged an additional five dollars for shipping. International shipping starts at eight dollars.
When purchasing the single month option, you can choose between a one-time order, or to receive automatic shipments every 30 days.
Of course, we’re not huge fans of autoship programs here at HighYa simply because they tend to result in unwanted charges and difficult-to-exit memberships. However, it’s refreshing that SugarBear Hair gives shoppers the option to opt out of automatic shipments.
SugarBear Hair has no information regarding returns or warranties, so it would appear that any purchase should be considered final. While potential customers with a query are invited to write firstname.lastname@example.org, there aren’t any other options beyond email to reach customer service at this time.
Note that we’ve reached out to SugarBear Hair for clarification of both their return policy and how to reach customer service, and will update this review as soon as we hear back.
Final Thoughts on Buying SugarBear Hair Supplements?
SugarBear Hair vitamins are relatively new to the market, so there isn’t a wealth of reviews that we can cite to gauge their effectiveness.
However, it’s worth noting that all of the nutrients provided by SugarBear Hair supplements can be found in a balanced diet — which is important in achieving healthy hair.
Why not just snack on supplements instead of spinach?
Because multivitamins, like SugarBear Hair supplements, simply can't replicate all of the nutrients and benefits of whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables for a few reasons:
- Greater nutrition: Whole foods are complex, containing a variety of the micronutrients your body needs — not just one. An orange, for example, provides vitamin C plus some beta carotene, calcium and other nutrients. This is important because whole foods don’t only pack more in a punch, these compounds work together to enhance their beneficial effect.
- Essential fiber: Whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, provide dietary fiber. While most high-fiber foods are also packed with other essential nutrients, there’s an extra benefit to fiber-rich foods. It takes your body extra time to digest, giving it a better chance of absorbing those important nutrients.
What about that extra biotin boost? You can purchase a bottle of 120 capsules on Amazon for less than ten dollars — a far cry from almost thirty dollars a month.
Bottom line: If you’re hoping to get ahead in the race to new lengths, SugarBear Hair supplements could work — for a price. However, those interested in accelerating their hair growth might be better off first checking to make sure they’re eating a balanced diet, then talking to a doctor about a less expensive multi-vitamin, instead.
Are you tired of split ends sabotaging your attempts to grow hair long? Check out “10 Tips To Stopping Split Ends.”