Proactiv Plus uses many ingredients found in the original Proactiv, with the addition of Smart TARGET™ technology that can help reduce irritation, as well as moisturizing ingredients to help prevent dryness. As such, Proactiv Plus is claimed to be “the fastest, gentlest, most effective Proactiv acne treatment ever.”
Proactiv is based out of Santa Monica, CA and holds an A+ Better Business Bureau rating, despite more than 1,100 closed complaints over the past three years. Overall customer satisfaction about the Plus products appears mixed, with most complaints citing that it did not work, irritated skin, and high price.
How Proactiv Plus Works
From the manufacturer of Proactiv and X Out comes Proactiv Plus, which is a dual therapy 3-step system aimed at creating and maintaining healthy pores:
- Step 1: Apply Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, which removes accumulated dirt and oils.
- Step 2: Apply Pore Targeting Treatment, which delivers the medicine directly to your pores.
- Step 3: Finish with the Complexion Perfecting Hydrator, which fights acne while also revitalizing and nourishing your skin.
The company claims that Proactiv Plus is the “biggest breakthrough in acne treatment,” and that a 13-week user perception study reported that 90% of participants experienced “significant results.” When compared to original Proactiv, the Plus formulation helps exfoliate and hydrate your skin for “improved tone, texture, and brightness.” As such, there are three primary differences:
- Added antimicrobial benzoyl peroxide (kills bacteria) and salicylic acid (clears pores).
- Smart TARGET™ technology delivers medication right to the pores, causing less dryness and skin irritation.
- Ingredients that “attract, lock-in and help sustain” your skin’s moisture.
According to the company, you should start seeing results within 4 weeks of regular use (twice daily), though it may take as long as 6-8 weeks for some individuals.
There are no known side effects from the use of Proactiv Plus, other than occasional irritation, slight dryness, and increased sensitivity to sunlight.
Proactiv Plus Kits
Proactiv Plus products are available in three different kits, depending on your needs:
- Proactiv Plus Complete Kit: Claimed to give your skin “instant radiance” and to diminish dark marks. Includes Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, Pore Targeting Treatment, Complexion Perfecting Hydrator, Mark Fading Pads, Eye Brightening Serum.
- Proactiv Plus Teen Kit: Helps attack facial and body acne using the Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, Pore Targeting Treatment, Complexion Perfecting Hydrator, Emergency Blemish Relief, and Cleansing Body Bar.
- Proactiv Plus 3-Step Kit: The core system at a reduced price. Includes Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, Pore Targeting Treatment, and Complexion Perfecting Hydrator.
In addition to one of these kits, you’ll also be able to choose between two free gifts:
- Skin Purifying Mask – A 10-minute facial that clears pores, heals blemishes, and helps prevent future breakouts.
- Re-Texturizing Toner – A deep cleaning toner that evens your skin’s tone and unclogs pores.
Finally, you’ll also receive the Perfecter Skin eHandbook as a free gift.
Proactiv Plus Pricing & Refund Policy
Proactiv Plus kits are priced as follows:
- Proactiv Plus Complete Kit: $39.95
- Proactiv Plus Teen Kit: $39.95
- Proactiv Plus 3-Step Kit: $29.95
After choosing your kit, you’ll also need to choose your free gift, and whether you want a 30 or 90-day supply. Shipping is $5.99 for Standard, and $12.99 for Overnight.
Regardless of which kit you choose, you’ll automatically be signed up for Proactiv’s ActivMember (e.g. autoship) program. This means that starting 30 days from your order, you’ll receive a 90-day supply of the Complete Kit every three months, and your credit card on file will be charged $39.95 plus $3.99 shipping and handling. There is no commitment, and your autoship program can be cancelled at any time.
All Proactiv Plus products come with a 60-day money back guarantee, less shipping and handling charges. To begin the return process, call 800-309-4796.
- Created by the makers of Proactiv, who have been in business since 1995.
- Claims to be a 3-step process with “extra medicine,” and the ability to hydrate and even skin tone.
- 60-day money back guarantee.
Cons (Most common complaints)
- Failure to work
- Irritated skin
- High price
Bottom Line – Should you use Proactiv Plus?
While benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid have certainly been shown to reduce acne, they should only be considered short-term solutions. As such, if you use Proactiv Plus for a month but still don’t notice an improvement, you may want to speak with your dermatologist in order to get to the root cause of your breakouts.