Do you love discovering new products and the promise of a great deal? With FabFitFun, you can receive a present-like box chock-full of beauty, fashion, and lifestyle goodies delivered four times a year.
That’s the promise behind FabFitFun’s urge to “Subscribe to happy!” This subscription box service offers seasonal deliveries of full-size beauty, wellness, fashion, and lifestyle products right to your door at the start of each season.
What’s a Subscription Box Service?
Like FabFitFun, subscription boxes have been all the rage over the past few years. If you’re unfamiliar with what these are, here’s the scoop:
- They’re physical packages. Subscription boxes are actual, mailed deliveries that are sent out at regular intervals—this can be monthly, seasonally, or bi-annually.
- They’re generally tailored to a niche interest. For example, BarkBox sends toys and treats to dog owners, BitsBox sends out monthly coding projects for kids, and Conscious Box claims to make healthy living easier to achieve.
- The contents are almost always a mystery. What’s inside your subscription box will be within a general category, but the individual items aren’t known until you receive the box. (More on this shortly.)
- They usually use recurring billing. Because the point of subscription boxes is to receive regular deliveries, most of them require that you accept automatic charges.
What’s Special About FabFitFun?
FabFitFun offers subscribers an eclectic mix of beauty, fashion, and fitness products. Boxes are sent out seasonally (every three months), which is less often than other beauty and fashion related boxes.
However, FabFitFun gives good reason for the wait — here’s what the company claims makes their subscription box service stand out:
- Boxes are specially curated for the season. For example, according to CBS News, “the 2016 Fall Box included 11 items. The products ranged from a $35 ModCloth scarf — a large plaid scarf billed as perfect for cold weather or keeping warm while traveling over the holidays — to a $50 eyeshadow palette from Pure Cosmetics.”
- FabFitFun items are always full size. Unlike other subscription box services that send boxes of trial size items, FabFitFun sends you regular-sized products, from makeup palettes to shampoo/ conditioner sets and more.
- Boxes claim to be worth at least $200. FabFitFun states that the total value of every box is at least $200 worth of products and items — which means they’re worth four times what they cost members. Plus, they claim that all the brands picked to be included are top-rated by consumers.
- Instructions are included. Each FabFitFun delivery comes with a mini-magazine that explains the contents in detail, from application tips to different ways to wear that aforementioned scarf.
Again, it’s important to remember one unique element of subscription boxes, whether you’re selecting FabFitFun or another company: Subscription box companies don’t tell you what’s inside before they send it’s out.
While what you get is a surprise, you can glean some information on what to expect by looking at past boxes.
Additionally, because FabFitFun sends out one box per season, you can always wait to order until after the initial rounds of boxes are sent out and items have been reviewed. More on this soon. But, just remember, there’s no way to know what’s in the next season’s box when signing up.
A Look At Previous FabFitFun Boxes: What's Inside?
What’s the best way to tell if you’ll enjoy a FabFitFun membership? Just take a look at what YouTuber Dizzy V reported was inside their Fall 2016 box:
- ModCloth Loch and Key Blanket Scarf – Value $34.99
- The Created Co. To-Go Coffee Mug – Value $19
- Pure Cosmetics Nude Collection – Value $50
- Spongelle Bulgarian Rose Body Wash Infused Buffer – Value $16
- Mullein & Sparrow French Lavender Body Oil – Value $18
- Skin Laundry Restoring Night Serum – Value $50
- The BrowGal Brow Gel – Value $20
- Toesox Toeless Fitness Socks – Value $17
- FabFitFun Coloring Book + Pencils – Value $16
- Cottonelle Fresh Care Wipes – (42 Count)
- Secret Outlast Xtend Clear Gel Completely Clean Deodorant – .5 oz
As you can see, the FabFitFun box contents really span a variety of accessories, beauty products and lifestyle items. Out of the 11 items, our total tally for each category is:
- Four clothing and accessories (scarf, mug, socks, coloring book).
- Two cosmetics (eyeshadow palette and brow gel).
- Five personal grooming products (body wash buffer, body oil, night serum, face wipes, and deodorant).
FabFitFun states that the total value of this box is $241. The question for prospective customers would be: Are the contents of this box worth $50 to you? We’ll help you answer that question shortly.
How Do You Order FabFitFun?
While FabFitFun boxes are uniquely tailored for the season that they ship out for, there isn’t a way to choose between selections to fit your preferences.
Something else that we found a little confusing when researching reviews: Boxes are given names, such as the Editor Box or the Welcome Box — which we initially thought were different choices, but that turns out not to be the case.
With the understanding that FabFitFun offers one box a season, the next question we had was: What’s the cut-off date to sign up for a specific one?
FabFitFun customer service was very helpful, and informed us that, to ensure you get a specific season’s box, you’d need to sign up before that season’s billing date:
- Spring box deadline is March
- Summer box deadline is June
- Fall box deadline is September
- Winter box deadline is December
When signing up for FabFitFun, which box you get depends on the date. At the time of writing, (January 2017), they’re still shipping out winter boxes (called the Editor box). Whether or not someone who signed up today or tomorrow gets that specific shipment or must wait until the spring box release depends on how many they have left.
This means that, unlike many other subscription box services, astute shoppers can actually wait until a boxes release to read reviews of them online before ordering. This gives you a chance to decide if you have to have it, or would rather pass.
FabFitFun Pricing and Shipping
FabFitFun offers two ways to order. If you’d like to pay as you go, you can sign up for a single box for $49.99.
Note that, even when purchasing a single box, FabFitFun members agree to ongoing, seasonal billing. This means that, if you do not take steps to cancel your membership, every three months you will be charged an additional $49.99 before another box is sent out.
FabFitFun states that you can cancel your membership to avoid ongoing charges at any time by calling (855) 313-6267. If our experience with their customer service was any indication, reaching someone takes little to no time and their agents are very helpful.
If you know that you’re interested in receiving ongoing FabFitFun shipments and would like to pay upfront, you can also order an annual subscription.
This commits you to four boxes at a total price of $179.99. That’s a total savings of $19.97, or $4.99 per box.
FabFitFun also offers “Add-Ons”: These are individual products that are either editor’s favorites or new items in stock that you can add to your shipment individually. They’re available at a discount from normal store prices, and can be added on at any time before your box has shipped.
Shipping of FabFitFun subscriptions is always free for members in the continental US. Those in Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii should expect to pay $8 a box.
FabFitFun Return Policy
If your FabFitFun delivery is damaged, missing an item, or is lost, it’s requested that you notify customer service within two weeks of the delivery date specified on your confirmation email.
With that in mind, FabFitFun purchases are final sale and nonrefundable. The company does not accept returns of boxes, add-ons, or additional box purchases. Any returns that are sent back will not be eligible for a refund.
What Are Customers Saying About FabFitFun?
FabFitFun customers agree that the products inside their seasonal boxes are of high-quality, and they’re happy with the brands. Positive reviews make mention of:
- The variety of products and items included in each box. This can include gift cards, jewelry, fragrance, accessories, and high-end cosmetics.
- Fast shipping and responsive customer service.
- That FabFitFun offers a good value in the number and quality of products that you receive for the price.
Negative reviews of FabFitFun were few and far between, with complaints centering on:
- Customers who were surprised at recurring charges.
- That contents were “hit or miss” when it came to their personal tastes.
Overall, reviews of FabFitFun left us with the impression that the brand lives up to their promise of delivering a variety of high-quality, full-size products that are top-rated and generally well-received by members.
Here’s how to decide if FabFitFun is right for you.
Bottom Line: Should You Sign Up For FabFitFun?
When considering any subscription box service, it’s important to remember that, even if the actual value of what’s inside is more than you paid, there’s a risk that the contents won’t be to your taste.
Subscription boxes tend to be best for consumers who enjoy a little mystery. Or, a better way to phrase it might be, who can afford a little mystery!
Here’s our thoughts on who would probably get the least value out of FabFitFun:
- If you have your heart set on a few specific items for an upcoming season.
- If you have product allergies or strong preferences, such as avoiding fragrance or parabens.
- If you’re on a budget.
- If you have very specific tastes or product/ cosmetics regimens and don’t like to explore.
Do one or more of the above describe you? Then, there’s a chance that you’re better off just shopping for what you love.
Additionally, the box that we shared was valued at $241, but only costs customers $50. However, when considering whether to buy, it’s important not to look at the implied value and how much you’re saving, but whether or not you’d spend $50 on those products yourself.
If you’re still curious about FabFitFun, we think there’s a good chance that this subscription box service will make you feel as if you’ve won the jackpot! As consumers, here’s what we would do before ordering just to be sure:
- Contact FabFitFun customer service to see what box you would get if signing up today, then check to see if that box has already been released. If so, look at reviews — do you like the contents?
- If you’d be receiving next season’s box, check out reviewers on YouTube sharing their past unboxings to really confirm that you enjoy FabFitFun’s curations style.
- Finally, remind yourself that, if you want to avoid recurring charges, you’ll have to call and cancel your membership.
With all that in mind, if you’re in the market for a monthly subscription box, we think that the quality, variety, and size of items in FabFitFun makes this a service a great pick.
And, if you’re interested in subscription boxes, but want to check out a service that’s slightly less costly, offers more frequent deliveries, of focuses on trial-size products, we recommend that you read our review of Birchbox for a comparison.
Horrible customer service
I attempted to order the Editor's Box, and the coupon code was not working. I contact customer service and they gave me a (supposed) correct code. Well, it was the wrong code, and even though they originally charged me for the Editor's Box, they then credited me $20 and ordered me a Starter Box - all of this without communication.
When I received my box it had a card for the Editor's Box saying everything that was in it, which was incorrect since they sent me the Starter box. I would never have chosen to order the Starter box.
When I contacted customer service, she was all over the place quoting me incorrect dates, etc. I asked for her to have a supervisor to call me and a "supervisor" showed up on the chat. They said they were all out of Editor's Boxes and would send me a Spring Box. I assumed it would be at no charge, but they charged me the full amount, and it showed up in my bank account this morning. I will be canceling as soon as I receive my box.
Don't trust the customer service. They don't know what they are doing!
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
10 out 13 people found this review helpful
They charged me for add-on items that I didn’t order. They wouldn’t give me credit or even resolve the issue. Terrible customer service. I asked to be credited $76 they overcharged me. This site is a scam.
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend